Creamy sensation. Easy to make. Tasty and textured. A dish that most customers order at every sitting while dining at Zahli Restaurant. As the restaurant takes its inspiration from the well-known beautiful town of Lebanon – Zahlé, our chefs create one of the most exquisite and tastiest cold mezze dishes: hommos!
No matter the twist of the dish, it still serves its purpose of satisfying the taste buds of individuals and enhancing their Lebanese dining experience, especially away from home. Zahli Restaurant brings this experience to life by offering a modern take on Middle Eastern food.
Since Lebanese food is known for having hommos as one of its central dishes to be served, it is enlightening to know what hommos is made of.
From a unique quick easy-to-make hommos recipe to getting to know the roots and origin of hommos, one is in for a mesmerising experience.
As Lebanese food in Sydney is quickly becoming one of the most popular cuisines, it is safe to say that Zahli restaurant offers the tastiest hommos. This recipe is made with extreme passion and uniqueness, in which four main aspects take part in creating this exquisite hommos recipe. As well as tasting great, being consumed in several different countries, and being used in many different ways, hommos is also extremely healthy in all types of recipes.
What is Hommos Made of?
As a cold mezze dish, hommos is made of several attainable ingredients which are found in every Middle Eastern and non-Middle Eastern home. The hommos recipe is quick to make, all the while enjoying this experience to reach a creamy, tasty result.
To start with, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 ½ cups of raw, large chickpeas
- 1/4 cup of tahini
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic (crushed using mortar and pestle is best)
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 4-5 ice cubes
- Olive oil for serving
- Place uncooked chickpeas in a large bowl and cover with a generous amount of cool water and leave to soak for a minimum of 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Once soaked, strain and rinse the chickpeas repeatedly for around 20 minutes.
- Place the soaked chick peas in a large pot, and cover with approximately 5-6 cm of water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for approximately 1 hour or until the chickpeas are tender.
Drain and rinse chickpeas once more.
- Place the washed chickpeas in a food processor or blender.
- Blend the chickpeas until they are finely mashed.
- Add the tahini, garlic, lemon juice and salt to the food processor or blender.
- Blend again until smooth.
- As the blending process occurs, add approximately 4-5 ice cubes until the hommos reaches your desired consistency.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Serving options: with a sprinkle of paprika, chopped parsley, or a drizzle of olive oil and eat with fried or fresh bread!
4 Tips for the Best Hommos Recipe
- Use fresh garlic and lemon
- Make sure always to soak and boil your chickpeas ahead of time
- Drizzle Lebanese extra-virgin olive oil
- Choose high-quality tahini
The Origins of Hommos: Back in Time
Hommos, with its various other spellings such as ‘houmous’, ‘humus’, ‘hommus’ or ‘hommos’, is an Arabic word that means ‘chickpea’ or ‘garbanzo beans’. Hommos has existed since the 13th century, but the exact origin is not confirmed. Many folklore tell that hommos is one of the oldest known prepared foods.
Chickpea plants are one of the oldest cultivated plants on the earth, which were first found in Turkey between 8500-7500 BC, then spread to the Mediterranean regions, and then to India.
To date, India has grown more chickpeas than the rest of the world combined, with a whopping 11.4 million tonnes in 2018. Australia comes next in chickpea production numbers, producing more or less 1 million tonnes a year.
The origin of hommos is referred to as Middle Eastern because it is popular in several countries across the Middle East. The precise location and time of the invention of this world-famous dish are debatable. However, the basic ingredients of hommos have been eaten together for years across the Levant, Middle East and part of Africa.
The fact that many delicacies in Greek and Arab cuisine are comparable can be attributed to the Greeks and Egyptians being long-time trading partners. One can detect that several food origins have crossed paths; hommos is one of them.
Chickpeas have been cultivated and grown throughout the Middle East and Mediterranean for thousands of years. Chickpeas have been around for centuries, being one of the earliest crops grown in Mesopotamia and commonly eaten on the streets of Ancient Rome. Greek philosophers Plato and Socrates referred to hommos and how nutritious it is in their writings.
Hommos—The Zahli Way
Indulge your taste buds in a delightful culinary adventure at Zahli Restaurant, where the show’s star is our mouthwatering hommos. This Lebanese gem offers an unparalleled hommos experience, crafted with a perfect blend of creamy chickpeas, tahini, and zesty lemon juice. With a texture so velvety-smooth and a flavour that dances on the palate, Zahli’s hommos is a true celebration of authentic Lebanese cuisine. Whether you pair it with warm pita bread or savour it as a dip with fresh vegetables, each bite is a divine journey through the rich Mediterranean flavours. At Zahli Restaurant, be prepared to be captivated by the art of hommos-making, bringing people together with every scoop and leaving you craving for more.
At our esteemed restaurant, we take pride in offering an extraordinary hommos experience by serving not one but two delightful versions of this beloved Middle Eastern classic:
- Hommos: For the purists, our classic hommos is an ode to the authentic flavours of the Levantine region, boasting a velvety texture and harmonious blend of chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, and secret spices.
- Hommos with meat: If you’re feeling adventurous, our chef’s special hommos creation awaits – a compelling twist that elevates the traditional dish with exciting new ingredients and flavour combinations.
Whether you prefer the comforting familiarity of the classic hommos or the captivating allure of our chef’s masterpiece, our commitment to using only the finest and freshest ingredients guarantees an unforgettable hommos experience that will leave you yearning for more.
Come and indulge in the symphony of tastes, making your dining experience at our restaurant truly exceptional.
Zahli Restaurant aims to provide an unforgettable dining experience unlike any other Lebanese restaurant in Sydney.